Respite day

Following our longest, hardest day, we had our easiest day. We relished in a lazy start after a very comfortable night with the best breakfast yet. It was all freshly cooked, with friendly attentive service. We set off at 9.40 for our gentle walk through the glen to Crianlarich, interweaving with the road and railway line.

There was no climbing, but rather a steady increase in height. We passed waterfalls where there were interesting circular rock formations created, presumably, by the fast flowing, swirling water. The weather was improving day by day and this was a pleasant summer’s day.

As we went through the tunnel under the railway, I hit my head on the metal girders, despite the warning signs and the fact that I’m certainly not tall! As we climbed up the side of the glen, we came across an honesty box of goodies, which was very well stocked with bottles of water and juice, chocolate bars and crisps. We’d had such a good breakfast we didn’t buy anything but we were impressed that it was there and the young lads behind us were delighted to partake!

We reached the crossroads of the path at 1.15 and turned right to walk down through the pine forest to Crianlarich – the half-way point on the Way. It was quite a steep path and we were aware that we would have to retrace our steps the following morning to join the Way again. When we had gone through the underpass beneath the A82 in the valley floor, we saw a sign to the tea room at the station. There, we had a snack before finding the SYHA hostel nearby. We arrived at 2.30 and were told rather brusquely by the manager that we couldn’t get in until 3. Fair enough, they need the changeover time, but we thought she could have been a bit friendlier.

Collette and Jennie waited at the hostel while the rest if us had a wander round the village – a shop, a pub, a hotel and a primary school – were the sum total of the facilities. We returned to the hostel and settled into our room – we were all in one room, but there was a decent amount of space, a table and a wash-hand basin. Four of us went to the Rod and Reel for supper, where I enjoyed vegetarian haggis, neeps and tatties. We left Penny at the hostel to enjoy some peace and quiet and a self-service supper from the shop.

Published by annejob

Since my partner died prematurely and my daughters have grown up, I have been motivated to make the most of life and do some more adventurous travelling. As a solo traveller, I have chosen to share my travels with family and friends by blogging. If these blogs reach a wider audience and inspire others to do the same, I am delighted.

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: